The due date is now only 2 days away. I'm excited to see when Noah will decide to come and greet us! Luke and I made the decision a long time ago that we wanted a natural birth. I want the full experience and feel like you can't get that if you opt for pain medications. Research has proven that the hormone oxytocin, which is released during childbirth and is often called the "love drug" or the "bonding hormone," is responsible for the immediate bond between mother and child. It also encourages the mother to nourish the baby right after delivery, so in a sense it plays a major role in establishing maternal behavior. This profound and amazing bonding experience could be lessened and compromised if mother and baby are drugged. This is a big reason why I want a natural childbirth.
I do, however, understand that I need to keep an open mind. I don't know what kind of labor I will have and if I will be thrown a curve ball. Although I want to avoid it at all costs, I understand that there are certain circumstances in which an induction is necessary for the safety of the baby. I also know that inductions often result in much harder labors, because your body is being forced into it instead of letting it happen gradually and naturally. So if I am induced I know that I may need pain meds, but I'll do everything I can to avoid it.
Through my own research I believe that natural childbirth is better for the mother and the baby, and that the experience will be much more fulfilling and empowering for me without drugs. I will feel more in control of my body and Noah will arrive undrugged and alert. When we are both alert and responsive, we will be able to experience that immediate and real bond. Plus, breastfeeding will happen more quickly and naturally. The Journal of Perinatal Education has a great article on why natural childbirth is better.
Early in the pregnancy Luke and I watched Ricki Lake's documentary, The Business of Being Born. Although quite bias towards natural home births, it did present some great information about the benefits of natural childbirth. There is a fear surrounding childbirth, and most women are exposed to that fear and forced to believe that they cannot have their baby without interventions and relief from the pain. But our bodies were made to do this and we shouldn't be afraid. So much of childbirth is mental. Women need to take a stand and believe in themselves and their bodies. The film also takes a look at cesarean sections. The US cesarean section rate in 2007 was 31.8% and the number seems to be on the rise. C-sections pose much more risks than natural births. After all, a C-section is major abdominal surgery. The documentary explored why nearly 1/3 of women were having C-sections. The film claims that birth should be viewed as a natural life process instead of a potentially catastrophic medical emergency. I have to say I agree with that.
I am delivering in a hospital and have a wonderful doctor who is an OB/family practice. She is pretty much as close as you can get to a midwife for an OB. She is a non-interventionist who shares the same beliefs that I do when it comes to labor and childbirth. I trust her completely and know that I will have the best possible hospital birth under her care.
A friend recently showed me a blog that gives scriptural encouragement for birth. I feel I've been so focused on the medical aspects of childbirth that I haven't given much thought to the spiritual side. I am grateful that my friend shared this blog with me, and I plan to take the author's advice. I don't know exactly when Noah is coming, but it is most definitely soon. I want to take the remaining time to focus on God and get my strength and power from Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment